Wednesday 21 November 2012

The label 'cyclist'

I have labelled myself a cyclist. I do not necessarily see myself as one, any more than someone who travels by car sees themself as a driver, or someone who travels by train sees themself as a passenger.

I cycle predominantly for other purposes than cycling itself(with the occasional summer cycle ride for pleasure). I am many things. I am a worker, I am a shopper, I am a customer, I am a friend. Above all, I am a person. The fact that I am on a bike does not mean that I am any different to anyone else, nor does it mean that I am the same as anyone else.

I refuse to be held accountable for the actions, or inactions of any other individual who also happens to use a bike. I do this in the same way that when I am driving, I am not accountable for the actions of anyone else who is using a car. The difference is, people don't accuse me of illegal activity when I'm driving legally just because they've seen others acting illegally, whereas this happens all the time when I'm cycling.

Just because I am on a bike, doesn't mean that I jump red lights, that I cycle on pavements or that I go the wrong way down one-way streets. Just because I am in a car doesn't mean I park illegally, use my phone whilst driving, or break the speed limit.

I am therefore reluctant to label myself as something which enables others to blame me for the actions of people I have no association with, but 'A Secret Person Who Happens to Ride a Bike' seemed a bit wordy.

No comments:

Post a Comment